Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

Midi Channel Set up

Ask questions and tell others how you work with the Roland Gaia. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Midi Channel Set up

Postby rodan » Mon May 23, 2011 3:40 am

Hi guys,

I am trying to set up my gaia in Sonar X1. I want to have gaia set up on midi channel 1 and my other AN200 synth module set up on midi channel 2 via the gaia's midi in/out ports. The gaia itself is plugged in through the usb cable. The problem is that I can't seem to get any sound out of the AN200 unless it is on channel one along with the gaia. I am under the impression that it should be possible to set it up where i can have sound coming from both instruments simultaneously via Sonar midi input. Is this not possible with the gaia? I have turned on midi thru (btw what is soft thru?), set midi channels correctly on both synths, I have midi clock set up, and one midi channel for the gaia (set to input sh-01 midi channel 1) and one for the AN200 (set to input sh-01 channel 2). In sonar I have both outputs set to sh-01 and that is the only option I have for sonar's outputs. Does anyone know what I am doing incorrectly in this process? Ive looked over the manual over and over for both synths and read tutorials but I can't seem to get it working.

Thanks everyone.
rodan

Re: Midi Channel Set up

Postby IttiBitiMidiKidi » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:29 am

Hiya, I tried responding to your message posted here. A that was as a time when the spamming here was at max,.. So my message got lost, as did my account. However, I have since created a new account, and thought I'd give it another crack.

So, I thought it freaking kewl that someone else was trying to do the same thing With a Gaia, and a Yamaha An-200.

Two of my most favored bits of hardware. So, we are not alone. Same damn issue. :(

I tried but for the life of me, the An-200 just won't sync up, I can use my micro kontrol midi keyboard With the AN-200.
I can use a Novation xio synth synced, I can use a IPad via dock out & usb-to midi , and ableton & any DAW via native instruments soundboards to sync just fine to the AN-200,...

But the Gaia - AN-200 combo just won't go. I changed the appropriate midi channels, tried others - and still nada!

Seems I'm missing something, any ideas people. Putting it out there.

Had the gaia working fine in various scenarios too, with DAW sending midi to Gaia & back n forth via USB midi, and via edirol UM1 & Native instruments cards. Every sync-up so far has been fine, via DAW hookup, or hardware synths with direct midi cables. Eg GAIA - NOVATION XIO synth, or iPad usb midi - GAIA ect......

But when trying theses two devices, I seem to run short of ideas. I've had numerous attempts, and think I've hit the wall.

Any hardcore midi boffins out there with some insight?

Where you @ in the big wide world ?

Peace love and light
IttiBitiMidiKidi

Postby rodan » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:14 pm

Haha that is pretty random never thought i'd run into somebody with those same two instruments (an200 is fairly uncommon but it sounds so nice!). Anyways im pretty sure that it won't work on another midi channel, I've never been able to get it to work. And I spent a hefty amount of time on it. In the end I had to pick up a midisport and made it work that way instead. I think when I was trying this I read that gaia couldn't transmit to the rest of the midi channels from your host sequencer like you would think it should (not 100% sure though, any thoughts anyone?).

But good luck getting it all integrated. One question for you though, since you have an an200, how are you creating patches? Are you just using the front panel of the synth, or are you using that old crappy xgworks editor? I tried to find the xgworks editor but couldn't find it anymore and I doubt it'd run on my current hardware anyways. So now I created a dashboard in FLStudio to control it but Im moving into reaper, and I am looking for an easy way to create patches.
rodan

Postby IttiBitiMidiKidi » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:55 am

Hehe pretty cool huh?

The AN's aggressive sounds are something to adore, muchless chunky basses. Lovely piece of gear. Will never part with it now, the card alone inside of them is worth more than the box.

Anywho, the way I had to get around it was through ableton, and push the midi out from another sound card to the AN-200.
I was trying to use some of the Gaia's arp patterns & pipe that midi to the AN-200. Wanted a direct midi connect, but no successful on that front.

What sort of music do you create? Soundcloud ? Ect?
IttiBitiMidiKidi

Postby IttiBitiMidiKidi » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:08 am

Oh shit I forgot to add, the patches I'm creating by front panel, and also the software.. I had massive difficulty initially trying to get a hold of the editor.. No cd meant I was Back at square one, so being on Mac, I looked for the next best solution that supported my operating system. MIDI QUEST XL, was the answer. The AN1 has the same controls, so that was my solve.

What platform are you on? Want to share patches? Peace
IttiBitiMidiKidi

Postby Grauw » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Hey IttiBitiMidiKidi, do you know of my Gaia Tool editor/librarian project? No fancy buttons if that’s what you’re looking for but it does unlock some Gaia features that aren’t available elsewhere (arpeggio editing!). Also you can use it to save and share patches in a more or less open format (not requiring a paid editor). There’s a bunch in the patches section of this forum, that’s also a good place to share patches if you want :).

This MIDI Quest XL, does it come with presets for the Gaia or did you make your own panel? If so, is it possible to share the configuration or some screenshots? I think the more editors available the better :).

I’m afraid I can’t really help much with this AN200 set-up problem by the way, if you already tried the (Soft) Midi Thru settings. Well, maybe, have you tried turning off the Gaia’s built-in GM chipset? That might be blocking the MIDI through somehow. Or maybe change the Gaia’s channel to 2 and use channel 1 on the AN200?
Grauw

Postby IttiBitiMidiKidi » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:58 pm

Hi Grauw,

Thanks for your input, I really like it when people can add some valuable 3rd person perspective.

I have been of the mindset that the midi channels should match, ie (GAIA -ch1 ) & (AN-200 - ch 1) so they send and receive correctly? Is this a trick maybe? I tried different ones, ie 5 & 5 or 13 &13. But still nothing.

I have seen your editor, and I'm a big user and fan, so thank you on whole other level!

The fact that Roland did not make an appegiator editor within their own aftermarket ($100 clam) ossiliscope price of #**#!!
I can't comeprehend.. So you raised the bar just a little higher for us all, to think about making our own solutions where the playing field ain't right!! Awesome work - major props!!

Once I have made some patches worthy of sharing they will be flooded amidst the forum here.

The General Midi sounds messed with my head for ages!! I did not even know they were in there.. So when I used POLYCHORD an IPad app, and told it to control the GAIA, it sent GM midi to the drums of the GAIA. I was next to pulling my hair put for an our trying to work out where the hell these drums noises where coming from..??? Heheheh

So I might give that a go and turn of the GM. Maybe causing conflicting transmissions, you could be very right..

The Midiquest editor is rather just software I'm using for the AN-200. That ol beast does not have an editor thats compatible/downloadable for any newer operating systems. So it's a newer aftermarket software that actually has an editor for a different YAMAHA synth, The AN-1 but this has the same PLG card inside which means the same parameters of voice controls are there's for the tweaking. That was my way of bringing this shiny knight out of the dark ages.

Once again, love the fact that the helpful input and valid use of this forum aids us all to better our craft, and Music content.
Peace love and light Y'all
IBMK
IttiBitiMidiKidi

Postby Grauw » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:23 pm

Well if you want to control the AN-200 from the GAIA then you should match up the channels, if you want to control both instruments separately from a DAW via the same MIDI cable then you should have them on separate channels. I don’t really know which of the two you’re trying to do actually, but the MIDI Thru and GM settings are only relevant for the latter.
Grauw

Postby rodan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:41 am

I write electronic music. Every type and kind. I don't have a soundcloud with any music at the moment. Im bad at finishing music...mostly just enjoy tinkering with synthesizers :)

Im not so good with the an200 yet though. It's hard for me to use without having complete access on the hardware. I need to get a hold of that software you are using.
rodan

Postby rodan » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:05 am

I found this for the an1x, this project gets me pretty excited! I want to make a controller for gaia with this. http://ctrlr.org/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=783
rodan

Return to Technical Talk