Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

Using the Gaia as a midi controller

Ask questions and tell others how you work with the Roland Gaia. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Using the Gaia as a midi controller

Postby oxygen » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:14 am

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/sho ... r-Keyboard

cresshead wrote:none of the sliders transmit on the Gaia which is a REAL shame...only the knobs transmit..so no control of adsr with the adsr sliders via midi...
of course this lack of transmission of data for the sliders seems to have been overcome with the pay for editor but 'as is' there's no transmission
there is a open source editor being worked on for the Gaia but as yet this short coming has yet to be solved.

i'd add that if this does get solved then the Gaia as a hardware editor for many soft synths would be very good...also if it could access hardware synths that
lack knobs/sliders like the Venom, ultranova, microkorgXL and my blofeld
oxygen

Re: Using the Gaia as a midi controller

Postby Grauw » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:19 pm

Actually to say that none of the sliders work is incorrect; only the Oscillator AD, Filter ASDR and Amp ASDR sliders don’t work.

This is the full list of controls the GAIA sends, with the CC# number between parentheses:

BANK_SELECT(0), MODULATION(1), PORTAMENTO_TIME(5), VOLUME(7), PANPOT(10), EXPRESSION(11),
BANK_SELECT_LSB(32), HOLD_1(64), BEND_MODE(90),

// effect controls
REVERB_CONTROL_1(12), DELAY_CONTROL_1(13), FLANGER_CONTROL_1(14), DISTORTION_CONTROL_1(15),
REVERB_LEVEL(91), DELAY_LEVEL(92), FLANGER_LEVEL(93), DISTORTION_LEVEL(94),

// tone controls
TONE_1_LFO_RATE(16), TONE_2_LFO_RATE(17), TONE_3_LFO_RATE(18),
TONE_1_LFO_FADE_TIME(19), TONE_2_LFO_FADE_TIME(20), TONE_3_LFO_FADE_TIME(21),
TONE_1_LFO_PITCH_DEPTH(22), TONE_2_LFO_PITCH_DEPTH(23), TONE_3_LFO_PITCH_DEPTH(24),
TONE_1_LFO_FILTER_DEPTH(25), TONE_2_LFO_FILTER_DEPTH(26), TONE_3_LFO_FILTER_DEPTH(27),
TONE_1_LFO_AMP_DEPTH(28), TONE_2_LFO_AMP_DEPTH(29), TONE_3_LFO_AMP_DEPTH(30),
TONE_1_OSC_PITCH(70), TONE_2_OSC_PITCH(71), TONE_3_OSC_PITCH(72),
TONE_1_OSC_DETUNE(73), TONE_2_OSC_DETUNE(74), TONE_3_OSC_DETUNE(75),
TONE_1_OSC_PULSE_WIDTH_MODULATION(76), TONE_2_OSC_PULSE_WIDTH_MODULATION(77), TONE_3_OSC_PULSE_WIDTH_MODULATION(78),
TONE_1_OSC_PULSE_WIDTH(79), TONE_2_OSC_PULSE_WIDTH(80), TONE_3_OSC_PULSE_WIDTH(81),
TONE_1_OSC_ENV_DEPTH(85), TONE_2_OSC_ENV_DEPTH(86), TONE_3_OSC_ENV_DEPTH(87),
TONE_1_FILTER_CUTOFF(102), TONE_2_FILTER_CUTOFF(103), TONE_3_FILTER_CUTOFF(104),
TONE_1_FILTER_RESONANCE(105), TONE_2_FILTER_RESONANCE(106), TONE_3_FILTER_RESONANCE(107),
TONE_1_FILTER_ENV_DEPTH(108), TONE_2_FILTER_ENV_DEPTH(109), TONE_3_FILTER_ENV_DEPTH(110),
TONE_1_FILTER_KEY_FOLLOW(111), TONE_2_FILTER_KEY_FOLLOW(112), TONE_3_FILTER_KEY_FOLLOW(113),
TONE_1_AMP_LEVEL(114), TONE_2_AMP_LEVEL(115), TONE_3_AMP_LEVEL(116),

(Although I think PANPOT may be in that list by error; I was not able to reproduce it recently.)

Note that it actually sends different controller messages depending on the tone and effect selection. If multiple tones are selected it will send two or three CC# messages for every knob change. So this may expand its use as a controller for you.

To get the ASDR sliders to work, using the MIDI Solutions Event Processor is a possible solution, because the GAIA does send sysex DT1 messages when they change (if the Tx Edit Data setting is on). Although there is not much CC numbers left to assign them to.
Grauw

Postby Grauw » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:27 pm

I’ll add by the way that the editors (both mine and Roland’s) use this Tx Edit Data facility, so that won’t be much help for those of you that want to use the GAIA as a controller.

And due to the lack of remaining CC# numbers I have doubts that Roland can fix this. Why they decided in the first place to send different CC messages for each tone, leading to this shortage of CC# numbers, is beyond me by the way.
Grauw

Postby _DemonDan_ » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Grauw wrote:Why they decided in the first place to send different CC messages for each tone,
leading to this shortage of CC# numbers, is beyond me.

Hi Grauw,

If you send MIDI from a GAIA to a sequencer (even as simple as the MIDI Mobilizer
with your iTouch/iPhone) and go crazy with the knobs while using the 3 green
Tone Select buttons to edit one, some, or all of the Tones, then this behavior
will be played back from the sequencer just like your original performance.

Separate CC's for each Tone also lets you do detailed tweaking in the parameters
of individual Tones in your sequences without being locked to a Tone grouping.

Ex: Your sequence could be moving one knob of Tone 1, a different knob of Tone 2,
and yet a different knob of Tone 3 all at the same time.

And finally, you could use lots of MIDI sliders to have thrice as many hands-on controls.

:twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted:
_DemonDan_

Postby Grauw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:04 pm

Hmm, I see... Too bad though that they had to make a choice between this and the ASDR sliders.
Grauw

Postby rodan » Thu May 12, 2011 5:20 pm

Anybody come up with any other solutions for controlling the adsr sliders through your host DAW? Would be very interested in automating these
rodan

Postby Grauw » Thu May 12, 2011 7:19 pm

Well you can send the sysex messages.
Grauw

Postby rodan » Fri May 20, 2011 1:51 am

I know sonar can receive sysex messages, do I need that box you posted to do it? Anywhere you can point me on how this stuff works...ive never looked into it before. Thanks Grauw and I appreciate your editor!
rodan

Return to Technical Talk